ABOUT THE BIGLERVILLE HOSE & TRUCK CO. #1

 

    The Biglerville Hose & Truck Co. No. 1 was chartered on November 25, 1913 with eleven members present. A hose cart was purchased from the Friendship Fire Company of Chambersburg, PA to become the newly formed fire department's first piece of apparatus. In 1921, the fire department bought its first piece of motorized apparatus, a Reo fire truck. Until 1983, the fire department was located on a parcel of land at 94 East York Street that the borough originally leased for the construction of the fire department. The building on that land was added on to in 1953, remodeled in 1966, and then added on to again in 1967 with the completion of a dining room. The Ladies Auxiliary was organized to support the fire department on September 21, 1953 with 113 members. Ambulance service for Biglerville and surrounding communities became a reality in 1957 with a used ambulance being put into service by fire company members. In 1976, Biglervilleís first rescue truck was purchased which provided the apparatus to carry the Hurst Jaws of Life as well as a 4 bottle air cascade system and equipment for the departmentís SCUBA team. With the need for additional room for apparatus and supplies, the former Nelson Farm Supply building at 111 South Main Street was purchased in 1982 to become the new home of the fire department. After much time and hard work by the members, the building was formally dedicated on Sunday June 5, 1983, providing housing for seven pieces of apparatus (including two ambulances), a meeting room, radio room, 350 person dining hall, and kitchen. In the next few years, a day room, kitchen pantry, and storage room were added. In 1986, due to the ever increasing demand for EMS service, the first paid EMS staff was employed in Biglerville. In 1988 the fire department celebrated its 75th anniversary with an open house and ceremonies at the fire department. Over the years since 1988, the members performed many upgrades to the property including enclosure of the outside storage building, replacing the blacktop in front of the apparatus bays, replacing the outdoor pavilion, multiple upgrades to the dining facility, and a complete paint job of the station inside and out.  In 2006 and 2007 with monies received through grants, an emergency generator was added to power the entire building in case of emergency, and the meeting room was remodeled into a bunk room and EMS office with storage and meeting capabilities, respectively. In 2013, the department celebrated our 100th Anniversary by hosting the ACVESA Convention and with a anniversary celebration in November. The department operates a fleet consisting of an engine, a tanker, a rescue squad, 3 ambulances, service truck, and UTV covering a first due fire area of approximately 16 sq miles including the Borough of Biglerville and parts of Butler, Straban, and Menallen townships and a first due EMS area of approximately 64 sq miles including the Boroughs of Biglerville, Arendtsville, and Bendersville and parts of Butler, Straban, Menallen, Huntington and Franklin townships.

 

 

 

 

Content found on this Web site is supplied by the fire department. 911 Web Dezigns.com cannot be held
responsible for any content, either text, pictures, or any other form of media found on this Web site.

Contact the Webmaster if you have any questions or comments about the site.